Men Suffer Electric Shock - Monday 30th Of September, 2013, 4.00pm
Two men have been injured, one seriously, after being in contact with high voltage power cables in Shropshire.
West Midlands Ambulance Service was called to a farm just outside Newport near Chetwynd Aston at around 1.40pm this afternoon (Monday). An ambulance, a senior paramedic officer and the Midlands Air Ambulance from Cosford with a MERIT trauma doctor on board attended the scene.
A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokeswoman said: “Crews arrived to find two men who had been injured by electricity cables.
“Crews were told the two men were in a tractor bucket when the tractor made contact with overhead live electricity cables. Both men were initially unconscious immediately after the incident but, upon arrival of crews, the men had regained some level of consciousness but were disoriented and suffering the effects of a significant electric shock.
“A 21-year-old man sustained a number of small full thickness burns to his body. Crews and the medic administered pain relief and fluids to the man before he was airlifted to University Hospital North Staffordshire for further emergency treatment.
“A second man, believed to be in his 50s, suffered no apparent external injuries but due to his decreased level of consciousness and the nature of the incident the man was taken to Princess Royal Hospital by land ambulance for further assessment and treatment.”