FROM LIGHT TO DARK! The Incredible Story Of “Blind Dave Heeley”.
By Dave Heeley & Sophie Parkes
“A True Inspiration” Sir Ranulph Fiennes OBE.
One of the most recent ambassadors to join Midlands Air Ambulance Charity is West Bromwich born charity fundraiser, marathon runner and motivational speaker Blind Dave Heeley.
This month Dave releases his autobiography FROM LIGHT TO DARK which gives a fascinating insight into how as a young boy at the tender age of 10 Dave’s world was plunged from light into darkness after a devastating diagnosis revealed he was going blind.
From Light To Dark charts Dave’s incredible life story, his journey coming to terms with blindness as a young boy and how he grew into a man to triumph over adversity. The story tells how Dave rediscovered his boyhood talent for running and how he went on to undertake some of the world’s toughest challenges, including John O’Groats to Land’s End (with a difference); ten marathons in ten days; 700 miles of cycling across 7 countries in 7 days; and the legendary 168 mile Marathon Des Sables, dubbed the ‘toughest footrace on Earth across the desert’.
Despite his blindness Dave Heeley has dedicated his to life to raising money for charity and being a motivational speaker to both able bodied and disabled people. To date he has raised over £500,000 for various charities and has completed numerous challenges and raised money to support national and international charities
In 2008 came Dave’s greatest achievement, entering the record books as he became the first, and to date the only, blind person to have completed the ultimate endurance challenge of seven marathons, in seven consecutive days, on seven different continents.
With a foreword by the veteran and record-breaking English adventurer Sir Ranulph Fiennes OBE, From Light to Dark is a heart-warming, inspirational tale of triumph over adversity.
• How does an active, adventurous personality deal with a life-changing diagnosis of blindness? From Light To Dark tells of one man's determination to live life to the full, regardless – but drinking, depression and marriage breakdowns inevitably take their toll.
• Can anyone ever accept blindness? Dave candidly explains how it feels to cope with the onset of blindness, and how family life, employment, interests, skills and hobbies are all affected
• But this is no 'misery memoir'. Dave's infectious sense of humour laughs from every page, detailing every funny scrape – both literal and metaphorical. From the time he was lost in Blackpool dressed in drag, to the occasion he encountered a foreman's office with a forklift truck.
• A combination of increasing blindness and business success meant that Dave left his sporting prowess behind. He took up running and cycling again, much later in life. The book documents this passage from beginner to amateur endurance athlete.
• Dave's fundraising endurance challenges have caught the attention of the press the world over. This autobiography takes readers through every pain barrier, every moment of mental anguish as he and his teams complete some of the planet's toughest feats.
• It's no surprise that Dave makes his living from speaking about his experiences. From Light To Dark is as honest, funny and touching as his speeches.
Dave’s book FROM LIGHT TO DARK is available on Amazon priced at £16.99