Forever In Your Debt

After enjoying a visit to see his father, John started up his bike engine and set off on the 180 mile journey back home to Manchester.

It was September 9, 2009, when John, now 33, left Pitstone in Leighton Buzzard to complete the journey he had done countless times before. Along his journey home John joined the A50 near Burton but when a car pulled out sharply in front of him he had no time to react or brake and was catapulted over the car and landed in the road.

John was assisted at the scene by a 17 year old St John’s Ambulance First Aider and the emergency services were called, but the situation looked grave.

Ambulance crew realised that John had multiple injuries including severe head injuries and believed John would not survive the road journey to hospital.

The emergency crew requested the assistance of the Midlands Air Ambulance who arrived quickly to the scene of the accident but had a real race against time to save John. 

Police at the scene later said they had not seen anyone with head injuries as serious as the ones John had suffered, survive.

With a severe fracture to his skull and bleeding in his brain Johns chances were fading fast.  

Midlands Air Ambulance transferred John from the accident scene to The Royal Infirmary in Stoke where teams of specialists fought to save his life and rebuild his shattered body.

Rushing John to theatre to pin and plate his leg in a desperate effort to save his limb, he was too unstable for doctors to perform any further operations and was kept in Intensive Care for four days.

The accident caused John to have a fractured shoulder blade, arm, wrist and thigh. He endured three separate operations on his arm and one on his wrist.

 But if his initial injuries were not enough that wasn’t the end of his care. John was then taken back to Intensive Care with pulmonary emboli – blood clots, in both lungs.

The accident didn’t just cause John physical injuries but in hospital he was often confused and suffered from hallucinations and paranoia.

Following the accident John had to stay in hospital for six weeks. His injuries meant he needed countless x-rays and scans and was bed bound for five of the six weeks he was in hospital.

However eighteen months and twelve operations later, John is almost back to his energetic, confident and charming self.

Almost a year to the day after the accident, John’s mother Anne George married in Florida. Anne said; “It is said that when the numbers are the same it is a lucky day, and 10/10/10 was indeed a lucky day for us,  Having John there was so special, he may have been a horrific accident on 09/09/09 but he survived and that to us means he is very lucky.”

Today John is determined to live life to the full and not let the accident stop him.  His mother Anne told Takeoff; “John is by nature a very positive person and a fighter. Despite pain and restrictions he works hard at keeping fit and healthy. He will not let anything get in his way and has started training for Rugby again.”

Anne continued; “Whilst there were many heroes along the way, had it not been for the Midlands Air Ambulance responding to John’s emergency, there would have been no John for them to save. We are forever in your debt”


Missions completed since 1991: 50,563 | On average we airlift a child every four days | Road traffic collisions make up around 35% of the incidents we attend | The service airlifts on average four horse riders each week.