Ambulance bosses are once again warning about the dangers of using accelerants on barbecues after three people were injured in an incident.
It happened in the village of Hopton Wafers in Worcestershire at about 6.40pm on Tuesday evening.
An ambulance, the Midlands Air Ambulance from Strensham and the West Midlands CARE Team doctor were sent to the scene.
A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman said: “The injuries were caused when an accelerant was put onto the barbecue resulting in a flashback.
An elderly man suffered very serious burns. He had active cooling before burns dressings were put in place. He was given pain relief and fluid therapy before being airlifted to the burns centre at Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham.
A middle-aged man had also suffered burns. He was taken to the same hospital by land ambulance with the doctor travelling with the crew. He had also had active cooling and was given pain relief.
An elderly woman was treated at the scene for less serious burns who had gone to aid the other two patients. She was discharged at the scene after assessment.